What permissions do I need to set on my GCS buckets for Encoding Input and Output?
When using GCS buckets as Bitmovin inputs and outputs you will need to configure them to grant the appropriate roles and access control policies to the Bitmovin encoder.
- GCS role- The Storage Object Viewer role must be added to the relevant IAM user (for which credentials or a service account is used in the Bitmovin configuration) in order to grant read permissions.
- GCS Access- As long as the proper GCS role was set, Input Buckets can be configured either as publicly accessible or private.
- GCS Access Control Policy- As long as the proper GCS role was set, the bucket access control policy can be set either as Uniform or Fine-Grained
|GCS role (for IAM user)||GCS Access||GCS Access Control Policy|
|Storage Object Viewer||Public or Private||Uniform or Fine-Grained|
- GCS role- The Storage Object Admin role must be added to the relevant IAM user.
- GCS Access- As long as the proper GCS role was added, Output Buckets can be configured either as publicly accessible or private.
- GCS Access Control Policy and Bitmovin ACL- The bucket access control policy and the Bitmovin ACL settings must be set according to the table below.
|GCS role (for IAM user)||GCS Access||GCS Access Control Policy||Bitmovin ACL|
|Storage Object Viewer||Public / Private||Uniform1|
|Storage Object Viewer||Public / Private||Fine-Grained2|
1When using Uniform access control policy type, GCS applies access control policies to all objects in the Bucket based on the IAM permissions - and all access granted by object ACLs are revoked. To get Bitmovin outputs working properly with this approach, all ACLs in
EncodingOutput.acl[*].permission must be set to private
2When using Fine-Grained access control policy type, GCS applies access control policies based on Access Control Lists (ACLs). In this way, the ACLs set in
EncodingOutput.acl[*].permission are applied to each object to be written in the bucket.
Take into account that Bitmovin ACLs in
EncodingOutput.acl[*].permission are set to
public_read by default - for example when creating encoding jobs from the Bitmovin Dashboard, so if you do not set an ACL explicitly, you should set a
Fine-Grained control policy type on the bucket in order to get it working
Updated 3 months ago